« We Are Pleased To Publish Your Senseless Ravings |
| A Structure From the Molecular Sponge »
March 6, 2014
Biggest US Cities for Biopharma Funding, Versus Whole Continents.
FierceBiotech has their roundup of the top areas of the US for venture capital funding in biopharma in 2013, and naturally, San Francisco and the Boston area are fighting it out for the top spot. But Oakland the the east Bay region are in a separate category, and if those are wrapped into the rest of SF, the whole Bay area wins out by a pretty good margin.
But, as was pointed out by Nick Taylor on Twitter, San Francisco (not even counting Oakland, etc.) and Boston together raised more biopharma VC funding than all of Europe put together.(See slide 10 here). SF raised $1.15 billion, and Boston $0.93, while all of Europe was about $1.9 billion.
And then there's the rest of the Bay area, San Diego, Seattle, NY/NJ/Philadelphia, the Research Triangle and everyone else. In medical research, the US is the startup capital of the world.
+ TrackBacks (0) | Category: Business and Markets
POST A COMMENT
- RELATED ENTRIES
- Weirdly, Tramadol Is Not a Natural Product After All
- Thiola, Retrophin, Martin Shkrell, Reddit, and More
- The Most Unconscionable Drug Price Hike I Have Yet Seen
- Clinical Trial Fraud
- Grinding Up Your Reactions
- Peer Review, Up Close and Personal
- Google's Calico Moves Into Reality
- Reactive Groups: Still Not So Reactive