« A Scorched-Earth Policy at Wyeth's Princeton Site? |
| Sure Thing »
January 28, 2010
Your First Pharma Bloodletting of 2010: AstraZeneca
As many had feared, AstraZeneca used their announcement of financial results as the cue to also announce another round of layoffs. I'd been hearing word that this might be coming, but didn't have a line on the size and timing. But it's 8,000 jobs over the next four years, and that Chemistry World link says that 1,800 of them will be in R&D. Another 1,700 R&D jobs will be affected as people and departments move around.
AZ has plenty of patent trouble coming (Crestor's expiration foremost), and plenty of legal bills. So I wouldn't necessarily say that today's announcement will end the layoff process, either, unfortunately. . .
+ TrackBacks (0) | Category: Business and Markets
POST A COMMENT
- RELATED ENTRIES
- Amicus Fights Its Way Through in Fabry's
- Did Pfizer Cut Back Some of Its Best Compounds?
- Don't Optimize Your Plasma Protein Binding
- Fluorinated Fingerprinting
- One of Those Days
- ChemDraw Days
- Incomprehensible Drug Prices? Think Again.
- Proteins Grazing Against Proteins