« The Horse Latitudes |
| Nobel Update: RNAi Wins »
October 1, 2006
Test Your Skills!
Are you qualified to be a medicinal chemist? Take this simple quiz!
1. You synthesize a new drug candidate. It won't even dissolve in hot DMSO. Do you. . .
(a) Chuck it into the chemical waste, because it's never going to be a drug
(b) Wonder if it's clean, because you're never going to be able to get it down the LC/MS
(c) Send it in for the assays, because you never know.
2. You've just received the results of a crucial in vivo test of your project's best candidate. It was exactly as active as powdered drink mix. Do you. . .
(a) Blame the animal group for fouling up the dosing
(b) Blame the PK group for fouling up the results
(c) Feel a sense of relief that maybe there's an assay that you might have managed to finally kill
3. Your compound kills mice. But it makes rats fat and happy. Do you. . .
(a) Feel a sense of relief that at least your main tox species is still in the running
(b) Close your eyes, hold your breath, and scale up for the dog
(c) Wonder what it would do to Kevin Trudeau?
4. You need to make a competitor's compound, but their patent synthesis just doesn't work. Do you. . .
(a) Stare out the window, muttering things about disclosure of best mode
(b) Set up a literature alert, hoping for a process patent application to clear things up
(c) Rub your hands together and send the synthesis out to a contract lab, turning it into their problem?
5. Your lab has been assigned a yearly minimum number of analogs for performance review. Do you. . .
(a) Tell your group to send in every intermedidate compound, even the smelly unstable brown ones
(b) Feel a sense of relief that at least they're not asking for a quota of active compounds
(c) Reach for the big bottle of DCC, 'cause if it's amides they want, it's amides they'll get
+ TrackBacks (0) | Category: Life in the Drug Labs
POST A COMMENT
- RELATED ENTRIES
- Adoptive T-Cell Therapy for Cancer: The Short Version
- How Much Is Wrong?
- The 2013 Drug Approvals: Not So Great?
- Positive Rules and Negative Ones
- Prices Rising - Every Year, Every Drug?
- Easy Aziridines
- Back Blogging (Bonus Biographical Begging)
- It Just So Happens That I Have A Conference Right Here